Some of the family are coming in tomorrow afternoon from Mexico City for a visit. I’m keeping it simple and just invited them over for coffee and dessert. I have a tendency to overdo things, but resisted the temptation this time. I’m needing some R&R. I’m even trying to schedule a massage. So instead of baking something fancy and complicated, my oldest son and I made 2 loaves of my favorite Chocolate Chip Banana Bread. It is so easy to make and everyone loves it.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 t baking soda
¼ t sea salt
½ cup unsalted butter
¾ cup brown sugar
2 organic eggs, beaten
3 large overripe bananas
1-cup good-quality dark chocolate chips
1 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or 175 C.
2. Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan
3. In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar together using an electric mixer, then add the beaten eggs and cream another minute. Add the whole bananas and blend well, breaking up the banana.
4. Sift the flour, baking soda and salt into a separate bowl.
5. Fold in the flour mixture into the moist banana mixture until moistened but do not over stir.
6. Pour into the prepared pan.
7. Bake for 1 hour. Test for doneness by inserting a knife. If the banana bread is done, the knife will come clean, except for maybe some melted chocolate on it. If the bread is undercooked, check again after 5 more minutes.
8. Cool on a wire rack.